Ed Sheeran fans faint at overheated Melbourne concert
Ed Sheeran fans swooned at his Melbourne, Australia, concert Saturday — and not over his talent.
Witnesses at the sold-out concert, held at Etihad Stadium, claimed at least seven of the 65,000 attendees had to be carted out of the overheated venue after fainting. The fans were treated for dehydration.
Temperatures in Melbourne hit 95°F Saturday.
Attendee Ally Meli told Yahoo 7, “I had called Etihad Stadium myself and was told that there was no air conditioner and that the promoter had chosen to keep the roof closed.”
“In the first act, they had to stop and get security to help someone who had fainted. Then it just kept happening all show,” fellow concert-goer Melanee Jardine said. “We had a young girl in our row pass out from the heat too. It was terrible and unnecessary when they had access to having the roof open.”
Reps for Etihad Stadium claimed that the roof of the venue was closed at the behest of Sheeran’s tour management.
“Patrons health and safety is always our number one priority and we were continually monitoring the situation. The temperatures inside the stadium was not at a level that put Ed’s fans at risk,” they said, adding, “Free water stations were available throughout the venue for fans to continually hydrate throughout the concert and they were encouraged to do so. On the stadium floor there was free water being handed out throughout the night to fans.”
The roof remained closed for Sheeran’s following concerts Sunday and Monday, the Sydney Morning Herald reported, but by Monday, temperatures had dropped to a much more comfortable 70°F.
A rep for Sheeran did not immediately return a request for comment.